Monday, June 18, 2012

Remember the Alamo

We often make pizzas at home.  Last night we were wanting to top off our lazy weekend with a pizza and wine night, but instead of the usual Mediterranean style that we go for, I wanted to try something new.  I have an obsession with The Alamo Drafthouse's Spicy Bleu Burger.  I crave it weekly and am often convinced  when I am feeling especially lethargic, blue or just simply ravenous, that the spicy bleu burger will cure what ails me.  So, when we were wandering aimlessly around the grocery store last night collecting mushrooms, pizza sauce, mozzerella... I felt bored by our selection and with very little convincing, got Kayla on board to make a pizza inspired by my favorite Alamo menu item.  It was a huge hit!  The act of putting the pizza together even inspired a new dinner party idea.  It will be a series of  parties where one or two other couples bring the ingredients to make their favorite menu item or dish into a pizza!  Kayla brilliantly termed the title of the series "Make it into a Pizza!"  And so it was.

First, I browned my hormone free, grass fed hamburger meat in some canola oil.  I seasoned the beef with some cayenne pepper, lemon pepper, ginger, turmeric and some fresh herbs from the garden (thyme and winter savory).  When it was almost browned, I put in large chunks of fresh garlic, about 3 cloves.  We like garlic around here.

Next I prepare my crust.  We eat gluten free around  so we used Udi's pre made pizza crust.  It comes in a package of two small crusts.  Udi's has a sweeter taste than average pizza crust, which pairs perfectly with the rich and spicy flavors we are about to throw down. 

Organic Barbeque Sauce!  No preservatives!
Next I drizzle extra virgin olive oil on the crusts before putting on the BBQ sauce.  After I took this photo of my pretty BBQ sauce design, I added more sauce and spread it pretty thick over the crust.

After the sauce, I sprinkle a little mozerella cheese, followed by a healthy sprinkle of the browned hamburger.  For this garlic loving household I added two more cloves of freshed minced garlic.  Top it off with BLUE CHEESE and you are ready to put it in the oven! I follow Udi's directions to bake for 7 minutes in a preheated 375 oven.  Afterwards, we slid the pizzas off the baking sheet and baked an additional 3 minutes to get a preferred crispy crust. 


We enjoyed it with a fresh garden salad that my honey made and a glass of Cab.

No comments:

Post a Comment